Skip to main content

WHO WAS DAVID?


In this blog, we will look at David as an example so you get clarity on the 5 aspects of your life. David from the bible is a very interesting person. He was called to be king, which is a huge responsibility. Let’s look into these 5 aspects of David’s life and see how they had an influence in his life in fulfilling the calling God had kept over his life.

1.LIKES
     David liked to sing to the lord
The book of psalms is evidence to the fact that David loved to sing praises to God.
     He liked to hang out with friends
The bible records various instances when David and Jonathon meet together. 

2.DISLIKES
     Blaspheming against God
David didn’t like when someone blasphemed against the living God. he just hated it and that is the reason why he went against Goliath in battle. 
     Disrespecting the Lord’s anointed
The Bible repeatedly records David saying to people around him that no one is to kill or do harm to the Lord’s anointed king Saul. He even killed the person who killed Saul in the battle.
So David said to him, “How was it you were not afraid to put forth your hand to destroy the Lord’s anointed?” Then David called one of the young men and said, “Go near, and execute him!” And he struck him so that he died. So David said to him, “Your blood is on your own head, for your own mouth has testified against you, saying, ‘I have killed the Lord’s anointed.’”
2 Samuel 1:14-16
3.TALENTS
     Skilful in playing the harp(musician)
     Man of war
     Prudent in speech
     Man of valour
     shepherd

This is how David is introduced to the king of Israel, Saul in 1Samuel 16:18.
Then one of the servants answered and said, “Look, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who is skilful in playing, a mighty man of valour, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a handsome person; and the Lord is with him.”
1 Samuel 16:18
4.STRENGTHS
David had a lot of strengths in his life, which made him one of the greatest kings of Israel.

     Faith & Boldness – 1 Samuel 17
David was a very bold person and had a lot of faith in God. Killing goliath was a result of his faith and love in God.
     Compassion
Although David had his battle side of his life, he was really compassionate and kind in the moments he needed to be. 
Then the king said, “Is there not still someone of the house of Saul, to whom I may show the kindness of God?”
2 Samuel 9:3
     Repentant
No matter how big of a sin David did, he always turned back to God and repented with all his heart and never went back to doing the same sin again. This was one of the greatest strengths that David had, that made God say about David ‘a man after his own heart’.
So David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die.
2 Samuel 12:13
Then David spoke to the Lord when he saw the angel who was striking the people and said, “Surely I have sinned, and I have done wickedly; but these sheep, what have they done? Let Your hand, I pray, be against me and against my father’s house.”
2 Samuel 24:17
     Humility
David was very humble before God. He was not like Saul who forgets where his journey to becoming king started. David knew who he was and where he started. The psalms record the humility of David on various occasions.
Bow down Your ear, O Lord, hear me;
For I am poor and needy.
Preserve my life, for I am holy;
You are my God;
Save Your servant who trusts in You!
Psalms 86:1-2
     Prayer and Praise – Psalms
David always prayed and praised God. he had a personal relationship with God that made him make him the right decisions. It also enabled the presence of God to be with him always.
     Self-control
After becoming king David didn’t want unwanted battles and knew when to stay quiet and when to talk.
But the king said, “What have I to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? So let him curse because the Lord has said to him, ‘Curse David.’ Who then shall say, ‘Why have you done so?’”
2 Samuel 16:10
5.WEAKNESSES
David’s weaknesses compared to his strengths are quite less, but they cost him in certain areas of his life.
     Adultery – 2 Samuel 11
David had an eye for woman and because of that, he sinned against God by taking Uriah’s wife and then killing Uriah for her. This incident is recorded in 2 Samuel chapter 11.
     Fatherhood
David was not a great father. He didn’t correct his children when they did wrong. The bible records incidents where his children do things that do not please the Lord. In his later years, his children become his enemy.
And his father had not rebuked him at any time by saying, “Why have you done so?”
1 Kings 1:6
When we look at the 5 aspects of David’s life; be it his likes and dislikes or talents or strengths and weaknesses, they all had a purpose in his life. None of them was there without a reason. These aspects of his life helped him in different stages of his life to become the king he was called to be. They also helped him to stay in his calling. David’s life was an example so you can look at your own life and see what are the 5 aspects of your life. 

I ask of you to sit down with the Holy Spirit and ask him-“why He has given those 5 aspects in your life in the specific way it is”. I believe that the Holy Spirit will open your mind and eyes to see the truth behind the different aspects of your life. As I sat down with the Holy Spirit, He helped me see the truth. Therefore I believe He will reveal it to you too.  

To know more on the calling of God, read the previous blogs and listen to the truth talk podcast via the podcast page. Let the truth set you free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A WALK ON WATER

Hey, guys hope y'all are doing good. I’m going to be sharing what God is speaking to me in the blog every week, so stay tuned and come back to get a word of encouragement and revelation from God. Also, the blog is in the form of a podcast. You can find the links to the podcast in the podcast tab. All of this aside, let’s get to the blog. When you think of the season that we as the whole world are going through with the widespread of the covid virus, it’s as though we were given no time to even think about what was happening. It was like a wave that hit us, we never expected. A similar situation is where the disciples find themselves in Matthew 14:22 Immediately after this, Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home. The word immediately shows the transition from one of the greatest miracles performed by Jesus to a stormy and wavy sea they never expected. They had no time to process the miracle, ye

WHO ARE YOU?

Many questions in our life are unanswered, some to which we don’t even try finding the answers. ‘Who are you?’ is one such question. If we are to ask 10 random people this question- “who are you?”, I believe only 2 of them will be able to answer this question. I mean a definitive answer and not a vague answer. I was one of those people who didn’t know a definitive answer to the question ‘who are you?’. When someone was to ask this question, I would say I am that and this, but never know who I was. I didn’t even try to find the answer to this question.  There came a point in my life when I realized something that lead me to find the answer to the unanswered question of my life. As I found myself battling against the evil forces at work against my life, I realized that 70-75% of the battles I fought against the enemy was because I didn’t know who I was and this ignorance was the entry point for the devil to my life. After this, I realized that I was wasting my time fighting unwanted batt

KNOW THE SHEPHERD'S VOICE

As we take on each day of our lives, we sometimes find ourselves stuck in some situations or some emotions. There were times when I questioned God why all this happens. Why do I not find myself moving forward although the days just go by? In those moments of our life we just feel as though we have lost our way and just can’t hear the voice of god in our lives. In those places of our lives we just feel as though we are in the middle of nowhere. Maybe as you are reading this, you are in one of those moments of your life. But I want to encourage you and say that there is still hope in Jesus and that this situation is so much different when we see it from “God’s eye view”. Let me explain what I really mean by “God’s eye view”. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.                                                                                                              John 10:4